7 Quick Mosquito Control Tips For Baton Rouge Property Owners
July 16, 2020
As a Baton Rouge property owner, you’re likely no stranger to mosquitoes. This pest needs standing water, humidity, and vegetation to thrive. So anywhere, like Baton Rouge, that has all three of these things is going to be a paradise for mosquitoes.
Most people dread having mosquitoes around because they are so obnoxious. They fly around and wait to bite humans and suck their blood. These bites can sometimes be painful, and the worst part is they leave you with red, itchy bumps for days after.
While everyone knows mosquitoes are a bad pest to have around, people often forget just how dangerous they can be. They are more than just a nuisance pest as they can spread many diseases
While you likely already know what mosquitoes look like, a brief refresher can help you tell mosquitoes apart from other flying insects. Mosquitoes:
- Are a small flying insect that has translucent wings.
- Can range in colors but are often grey or brown.
- Often have iridescent scales.
- Have a long appendage coming from their mouths that the females use to suck blood.
- Have six legs that are very thin and long in proportion to their body.
How Dangerous Are Mosquitoes?
While mosquitoes are definitely frustrating to deal with because of their bite, this isn’t the worst thing about them. Mosquitoes are considered one of the deadliest animals on the planet because they spread some of the deadliest illnesses. In some places of the world, mosquito-borne illnesses are a big health problem, and mosquitoes in Baton Rouge can carry illnesses, too.
Here are some of the biggest health concerns associated with mosquitoes including some of the diseases they carry:
- West Nile virus
- Yellow fever
- Dengue fever
- Allergic reactions
Because mosquitoes suck blood from one host and then transfer these pathogens to a new host, they can be extremely deadly. So, it’s essential to learn the best ways to prevent mosquitoes.
How Can You Protect Your Property From Mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are a difficult pest to get rid of because they can reproduce quickly and grow their numbers. Also, in places like Baton Rouge, the overall climate and environmental factors are already attracting them.
The best thing you can do to prevent mosquitoes and lessen their numbers around your yard is to take steps to make the property less hospitable for them. Here are a few ways to address underlying issues that could make your property appealing to these flying pests:
- Remove standing water as this is where most mosquitoes lay their eggs.
- Ensure that water features like pools and fountains are treated with the right chemicals.
- Clean gutters regularly.
- Make sure that rainfall can drain properly and not create more standing water.
- Regularly mow your lawn and keep things tidy.
- Trim dense vegetation as mosquitoes hang out in these areas during the day.
- Get professional pest control help.
The Most Effective Form Of Mosquito Control
Professional pest control services are the most effective way to control mosquito populations around your property. At Pelican Pest Control, we specialize in mosquito services in the Baton Rouge area, and we are here to protect your yard from these dangerous pests. Contact us today to learn more and to get started.